Wednesday, July 29, 2009

My Life as a Freelance Writer

I've only been a freelance writer for a month and am already making some good money. I still have a long ways to go before I reach my goals.

Goals
I'm already making enough money to pay my bills with upfront pay sites but it seems like I'm spending my whole day writing. My goal is to get to where all my bills are paid using residual sites. This way, I can write whenever I want and not have to worry about being able to pay my bills. I'm going to do this by focusing on one site at a time. My residual pay will be spread out over a few different sites. You never know when one site will go under so it's great to have some back ups.

Companies

I work for a few different companies but these are the ones I'm going to focus my time on.

Upfront Pay Sites

Demand Studios

This is my main upfront pay site. Until I make enough in residuals, this will be my main money maker. I would like to complete 3-5 articles per day, Monday-Friday. This will create an income of $45-75 per day or $225-375 per week which is just barely enough to pay my bills.

Textbroker

Textbroker will be my backup site. I find it difficult to write an article with few instructions. Articles for Textbroker have really vague guidelines. The pay is really low as well. I hope to make $20 per month with Textbroker.

Residual Sites

I'll be focusing my time on the following residual sites and will be adding more as I learn about them:

  • eHow
  • Associated Content
  • Studio 101
  • Bukisa
  • Examiner
  • Brigthhub
  • Helium

Timeline

I hope to be at $300/month at eHow by January. Then I'll focus my time on another residual site, probably Studio 101. I'll be adding articles to all my residual sites during this time. I'm going to try to add 1-2 eHow articles per day. I'll also be doing 3-4 Demand Studio articles per day and 1-2 Textbroker articles a week. I hope to make $1500/month on residuals within a year. I'll update this blog once a month with my progress.

Image credit: typofi at http://www.sxc.hu/profile/typofi