Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Only One Month to Go!

A lot has happened since I last posted. Where do I begin? I got A's in all my classes last semester except for 1 class where I got a B. It was the class that I expected to get an A in - Interactive Web Design. The professor never told me why he gave me a B.

This semester is doing great so far. I'm taking four classes this semester. I'm taking Digital Art II with the same professor as last semester. We have three projects for the semester - 1 project each month and they are really easy assignments. The second assignment is due next week and then we only have one project left.  3D Animation is really boring and I don't know when I'll ever need to use this stuff but the assignments are easy. The professor is nice and she moves the due dates when she sees that we are struggling. Motion Graphics I is also an easy class. The professor is great and the assignments are spread out over a few weeks so we have plenty of time to get them done. The class I hate the most this semester is the class I liked the most last semester. Interactive Web Design II is a huge pain. We have to work with a partner and my partner is very flaky. She turns all of her work in late and she didn't even do the last assignment she said she would do. I had to do it for her and it ended up being a week late. I asked her why she didn't get it done and she told me that she took off a couple extra days for spring break. Ugh! I'm doing all the work for this assignment from now on. I cannot trust her. We get to assess our partner at the end of the semester and she will get a bad assessment from me.

Luckily, there is only one month left in the semester. I now need to focus my attention on summer break and what I'm going to do with the time off.

First, I started a health-based niche site that I would like to get in the top 10 in Google for its keyword. I fully expect the site to make at least $800 a month once it's in the top 10. It's currently ranked 85th for its keyword with only a few backlinks. I should be able to get it in the top 10 in Google with a few more linkwheels and article marketing. I also want to make a few videos to post with links back to my site.

The second thing I need to focus on this summer is making money for vacations. I am going on vacation to the Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival at the beginning of June. I need to make $1,000 for food and gas. I'll be doing title selection for Demand Studios in May to make this money. I'm also going on a Carnival cruise in November. I'm so excited about it I can't wait. I already paid for the cruise but I need money for food, drinks, excursions, souvenirs, tips and gas to get down to Florida. We are also going to Walt Disney World after the cruise and are staying in a hotel (my parents are paying for the hotel). I'm probably going to need at least $1,000 but I want to play it safe and make $2,000. I'll be working on this throughout the summer. I'll have plenty of time to do it. I'm only taking one class in the fall so I'll have time next fall too.

Another piece of news I'd like to share is that my sister-in-law is pregnant with their first kid - my first nephew. He is due to be born in July. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I'm very happy for them but at the same time, I'm jealous. Growing up, I dreamed about being a stay at home mom with three or four kids. I'm nearing 30 years old and I've never even been in a relationship. Seeing my brother and SIL decorating the nursery and buying toys and diapers just reminds me of what I don't have. I'm not ready to have a kid but that doesn't mean I don't still yearn for one. Sometimes I don't think it's fair. I'm the oldest child, I'm suppose to have the first baby. I'm trying to focus my attention on my upcoming vacations and new career instead of on babies. My time will come. It may be a few years but I'll be better off because I will have more time and money to give to a child once my career is stable.

In summary, my plans for this summer are to work on my niche site and make money for vacation. I would also like to buy a new HP Touchsmart so I'm hoping to make enough money for that as well. I've got so much going on this summer. I'm excited to get started.