Tuesday, June 25, 2013

6 Month Update

2013 is officially half way done. Is it just me or does it seem like time is flying by? It seems like just yesterday I was making these resolutions. I already have one of them done and I'm making progress on others but some of them probably won't get done this year.

Goal #1: Publish 500 Squidoo Lenses – Rank 250 Lenses in Top 10 for Their Main Keyword.
Change of plans for this goal. Squidoo went on a lens locking spree and locked many lenses without saying what was wrong with them. Luckily, I only got one lens locked but it made me mad enough that I don't want anything to do with Squidoo. I started a new website that I will write product reviews for. I hope to have 500 reviews completed by the end of the year. I am making over $1,000 a month on Squidoo and I hope to make three times that amount from my website.
Goal #2: Save $500 in an emergency account
Nothing yet. It will probably be a few months before I can even tackle this. Amazon decided to "fire" all affiliates from Minnesota. This means that I need to start a LLC in another state to keep my account. This will cost me around $500. I also need money for my vacation next week. I should still be able to get this resolution complete but it might not be until October or November.
Goal #3: Get under 200 pounds Get under 175 pounds
Complete!!! I started watching what I eat and exercising at the beginning of March and have lost 25 pounds and officially weigh 198 pounds. I am changing this goal to 175 pounds.
Goal #4: Read 12 books
So far I've read 2 books this year - Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (stupid book) and The Scarlett Letter (pretty good). I started Don Quixote but am not even close to being finished. I'm on page 50 out of 900 so it will be a while before I get done. I should be able to do a lot of reading on my vacation next week. It's a 14-18 hour drive one way and then another 18-20 hour drive coming home (taking a detour through Illinois). I hope to get at least 2 more books completed during the trip.
Goal #5: Ride my bike 10 miles
My bike is all cleaned up and ready to go. I just have to find a place to ride it. I'll probably start riding it when we get back from vacation.
Goal #6: Pay off 1 student loan
My first payment after deferment is August 7th. I haven't paid anything towards my loans this year. I hope to pay a little extra each month but I don't think it will be enough to completely pay off a loan.
Goal #7: Learn to play 5 songs on guitar
I started practicing every day until the beginning of June and then kind of lost interest. I still really want to learn to play but the guitar I have makes it hard. It never stays in tune and the strings are too high. I need to take it into a music shop to get it set up right but that costs $100 which I don't have right now. Not to mention that the closest music shop that will set up guitars is 2 hours north of here.
Goal #8: Learn to make Crème Brulee
I don't have enough money for a torch right now but I might just go ahead and make them using the broiler in the oven. They probably won't be as good as the ones I had on my cruise in 2011 but I think they will turn out okay.
Goal #9: Get health insurance
Again, I don't have enough money right now but the Minnesota Health Insurance Exchange is scheduled to launch in October so I should wait until then to get health insurance anyways. I might qualify for reduced or discount insurance based on my low income.
Goal #10: Go to New York City for my 30th birthday
I really, really don't think I'll be able to afford this. I'm hoping for a miracle.